Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Wonderful Flight To The Mushroom Planet


(Click on images to view full size-scans.)

Written by Eleanor Cameron in 1954, this charming children's book is one that holds good memories for me. The cover art above is scanned from my copy, still intact but a little dog-eared after all these years. I was about nine years old, in 1969, when I bought this through the Scholastic book program at school, and re-read it many times. The story of two boy's journey through outer space in a homemade space ship to another planet really captured my young imagination. The idea of a trip to meet aliens in an self-made (but alien technology-enhanced) ship was echoed in the film "Explorers," which I enjoyed many years later.


I remember reading some of this book while tucked in one of my own cardboard box spaceships, which made it even more fun. Of course, my parents worried how I could spend hours on end in a cardboard box, but little did they know my mind was soaring off on amazing adventures. With my canteen full of Goofy Grape soft drink, a peanut butter sandwich, and a good book, I would be ensconced for hours in my make-believe space capsule. Now that I have a five-year-old grandson, I will be reading it to him very soon!

2 comments:

  1. I'm quite certain that I had that book. It certainly looks familiar. Ah, Scholastic Book Club....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all the Mushroom Planet books, and have been finding them whenever I can. You might also read up on the slight spat between Eleanor Cameron and Roald Dahl.

    ReplyDelete